A squeaky garage door isn’t just annoying. It can also be a sign that your door isn’t working quite as well as it should. Thankfully, fixing a squeaky garage door is generally pretty easy. Here are five steps you need to take.
Easy Tips For Silencing Your Garage Door
1. Clean out the tracks with a clean cloth or a vacuum. This will help prevent the wheels from catching and squeaking.
2. Lightly spray the tracks and chain with a silicone-based spray lubricant. Avoid grease and oil-based sprays, as these can encourage debris buildup.
3. Lightly spray the garage door hinges, springs and bearings. You may need to spray parts of the door as well, especially if the panels squeak as they touch and separate.
4. Lastly, open and close the garage door a few times to allow the lubricant to coat all of the moving parts. At this point, you should no longer hear a squeaking noise.
5. If you do still hear squeaking, listen carefully to determine where the squeak is coming from. Add a little more lubricant to this spot. Be careful not too over-lubricate, however, which could encourage buildup and slipping.
Expert Garage Door Services in Kansas City
In order to keep your garage door functioning properly and quietly, you will want to lubricate your garage door once or twice a year or as needed. This will help the door to open smoothly and silently.
While a lack of lubrication is the most common cause of garage door squeaking, squeaking may be caused by a garage door that is improperly aligned as well. If you suspect that this is the issue with your home, call a qualified garage door repair company for assistance. Garage door realignment is not a do-it-yourself task.
Learn More Now
When it comes to garage doors, our Kansas City-based operation knows how to get you the results you’re looking for. Each and every day, we satisfy residential and commercial customers throughout the area.
For details about our garage door inventory or services, contact Raynor Garage Doors of Kansas City by calling (913) 766-2366.