According to the Canadian Hospitals Injury Reporting and Prevention Program, 75% of garage door accidents involved two types of injuries:
– Doors falling on people
– Body parts getting caught in a door panel.
Garage door safety is important, as more of us tend to use this door as the primary in and out from our homes. Kids are especially vulnerable to injury as the remote or door control is an attractive toy.
Raynor Garage Doors of Kansas City has a few tips to keep your family, pets and possessions out of harm’s way.
- Even though they enjoy it, never let kids open or close your garage door. Keep the remote out of their reach and make sure any wall switches are at least five feet from the floor and keep chairs or others items they might climb on away from the area.
- Make sure the photo-eye is in the correct position. It can be easily moved aside with all the comings and goings and it’s vital to keep the garage door from lowering onto people, pets or cars. If it stops working have it repaired immediately.
- Make sure all adults know how to operate the door’s emergency release feature and make sure that it is close by at all times.
- Don’t stand under or run through a closing garage door. This is an especially important lesson for kids.
- If you’re manually opening your garage door make sure you place your hands only on the bottom to avoid getting fingers caught in any mechanism or between the door joints.
- If you suspect damage from a storm or other natural disaster such as a teenage driver, call a qualified garage door maintenance company to inspect it. Your door could be misaligned and that can cause the operating system and other mechanicals to wear prematurely.
- Never attempt to repair a garage door’s springs or cables. These are under extreme tension and can cause severe injury, dismemberment, or even death. If you see damage call an experienced technician like Raynor Garage Doors of Kansas City for repair.
- Have your garage door serviced annually by a professional to keep it in good working order. They can make any repairs needed. You can also perform minor maintenance yourself.
Raynor Garage Doors of Kansas City is your KC technician if you suspect your garage door is unhappy. We cover the metro area with over twenty years of superior sales and service and that means lots of happy customers and a 2011 Angie’s List Super Service Award. We even offer 24 hour emergency garage door repair in case of natural disasters or teenagers. So call us today and let us keep that big door working.