Spring is coming (or so the calendar says) and you may be making lists of landscaping chores and improvements. A nice landscape increases your curb appeal and adds value to your home.
A professional landscaping company can help if you don’t think your thumbs are green but there’s no reason why you can’t make some improvements on your own that will boost your home’s appeal and make coming home a treat.
- Clean up flowerbeds and add a fresh layer of mulch. Removing debris, old leaves, trash or dead annuals from the previous year will make your yard look much better and mulch will help retain those April showers.
- Add a couple of unusual specimen plants. Break the mold of the typical yew or boxwood with one or two less common perennials. Local nurseries are always excited to pass along new varieties and can recommend just what you need for your yard.
- Add pots of flowers to your porch. They can be changed out as they fade or become leggy to be replaced with new plantings as the seasons change. Pots are also a good place for tropical plants or bulbs (think cannas or elephant ears) that you can overwinter.
- Plant a tree or two. Break up a big open space with a specimen that has both spring and fall interest.
- Maintain your lawn. Choose a type of grass that is suited to our area to reduce the need for water or you may even think about breaking up your lawn and incorporating native plants for conservation purposes.
- Rent a power washer and thoroughly clean the exterior of your house. You’ll be amazed at how much dirt and dust can accumulate on shutters, windows and siding. Get a scrub brush and wash your garage door.
We’ll be glad to finally spend some time outdoors and with a refurbished exterior of your home and landscape will make that time more enjoyable. Raynor Garage Doors of Kansas City can help you choose a new garage door to enhance your curb appeal or we can inspect your existing door for safety. You’d be amazed at your choices of garage doors these days, and a new garage door really retains its value.
For more spring and summer landscape tips come to the Johnson County Home and Garden Show at the Overland Park Convention Center March 1, 2 and 3rd. Come see us at Booth 1216 and let us show you how beautiful your garage door can be.